Federal & State Assistance Programs

Kansas Department of Children and Families

Kansas Department of Children and Families administers several low-income programs, including Food Assistance, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Child Care Assistance, Child Support Services, and Medical Assistance.

Kansas Housing Resources Corporation

Kansas Housing Resources Corporation offers affordable housing opportunities to first-time home buyers, renters, senior citizens, and other individuals with special needs who otherwise might not be able to afford quality housing; and administers the federal Weatherization Assistance Program.


KanVet provides direct access to State of Kansas veteran-specific resources and benefits without having to navigate multiple state agency websites.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Kansas Department of Disability and Aging Services

Kansas Department of Disability and Aging Services administers services to older adults; administers behavioral health, addiction and prevention programs; manages the four state hospitals and institutions; administers the state’s home- and community-based services waiver programs under KanCare, the state’s Medicaid program; and directs health occupations credentialing.

U.S. Department of Agriculture – Rural Development

U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Rural Development section helps rural residents buy or rent safe, affordable housing and make health and safety repairs to their homes.

Housing and Credit Counseling, Inc.

Housing and Credit Counseling, Inc. offers financial counseling, homebuyer services, tenant & landlord counseling and education events on financial topics.

Kansas Legal Services

Kansas Legal Services helps low-income Kansans meet their basic needs through the provision of important legal and mediation services.

Kansas Head Start 

Kansas’s Head Start programs promote the school readiness of young children (birth to five) from low-income families through agencies in their local community; and provides children and their families with health, nutrition, social, and other services. Please visit the Kansas Head Start Association’s webpage to find the Head Start program that provides services in your county.

Need Help? Start by selecting the county you live in:

Contact Us

Sign up for our newsletter!

Skip to content